Even as a fussy child Schnitzel was always a meal that I looked forward to. Mum would make the best schnitzels and often got rather creative with them even wedging a piece of cheese and ham in between two schnitzels so that what we were left with was a warm schnitzel sandwich with a delicious oozing melted centre. Well while my version does not have a creamy centre it is still ridiculously delicious and super healthy. This version is gluten free, has an amazing nutty, crunchy crust that smells divine and is packed full of healthy fats and protein. Experiment with different nuts and meat.
4 medium pieces of free range pork steak (organic chicken thighs, drumsticks or even wild caught white fish such as barramundi can be used)
1/2 cup macadamia nuts
1/2 cup almonds (or an extra 1/2 cup of macadamia nuts)
2 organic eggs (for an eggless version try using 2 tbsp coconut oil instead)
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 small knob of fresh ginger (or 1 tsp ground ginger)
1 tsp himalayan salt
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Whisk eggs, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
- Grind the macadamia nuts and almonds in a food processor until it becomes a fine powder. Place "nut meal" into a medium bowl.
- Cover entire pork steak in egg mixture, then cover with nut meal.
- Place pork steak on a baking tray, lined with baking paper.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes one side. Then turn over and bake the other side for a further 10 minutes.