If you fancy a meatless meal, want to give your digestion a break or need an entree idea try this soup. Macadamias simply taste amazing. They are buttery in texture and flavour, and offer much goodness such as healthy fats mostly monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA), followed by Linoleic acid (LA), Alpha-linolenic acid ALA and saturated fats (SFA). They are low in carbohydrate, harmful Omega 6 fats, phytic acid and pesticide residue and contain Vitamin B1, copper, iron and a fair whack of manganese (think bone and thyroid health). Great for those creaky knees. They are worth every pricey penny. I find these guys slightly addictive. Interesting fact: Macs have been shown to reduce total cholesterol, and may reduce inflammation and prevent coronary heart disease. Macadamias have around the same amount of the health promoting monounsaturated fat, oleic acid as olives.
2 tbsp ghee (or organic butter or macadamia oil)
1 medium leek, sliced finely
1 cups of mushrooms, roughly chopped
1/4 cup pumpkin, chopped
1/2 cup broccoli, chopped into small chunks
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cayenne
1 1/2 tsp himalayan salt
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 cup water or bone broth
1 cup organic full fat organic coconut cream
1 cup macadamia nuts
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees. Place macadamias on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Roast for 8 minutes until golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a large saucepan.
- Add leek, mushrooms, garlic, salt, pepper and spices. Sauté for approx 10 minutes until leeks are soft.
- Add all remaining ingredients except macadamia nuts.
- Simmer on medium heat for a further 20 minutes until pumpkin is soft.
- Add roasted macadamia nuts to the soup mixture.
- Blend soup using a hand held blender or stationary blender (I use Nutriboost Bullet blender).
- Serve and enjoy.
- You may like to have this with a side of onion bread.
Make double and have the leftovers for breakfast or lunch the following day.