I love pumpkin so when a patient requested a gluten-free bread recipe I jumped at the chance to create one rich in a vegetable so dear to me. Let me introduce you to the brightly coloured pumpkin, a delicious vegetable rich in antioxidants such as vitamin A and beta-carotene. Choose to make this bread if you want to nourish your eyes, heart, colon and well EVERY cell in your body. This bread is an excellent alternative to those refined carb, sugar, gluten and chemical laden types. I add pumpkin seeds for extra fibre and a happy colon and enjoy mine warm/toasted with fresh avocado or nut butter.
1/2 (approx 1 cup) pumpkin, chopped (keep the seeds)
4 organic eggs
1/2 tsp himalayan salt
1/4 cup organic butter or ghee (melted)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp rice malt syrup
2 cups ground almonds (or almond meal)
1 cup LSA (linseed, sunflower and almond)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp fresh ginger, crushed (or 2 tsp ground ginger)
- Steam chopped pumpkin until very soft. Blend with hand held blender or mash.
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees.
- Whisk eggs, butter and rice malt in a large bowl.
- Add remainder of ingredients (including pumpkin seeds) and stir well.
- Pour mixture in a baking dish lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 50 minutes uncovered.
- Cover top with baking paper and bake a further 20 minutes or until skewer is "clean" once you pierce it through the centre.
- I enjoy mine warm with fresh avocado or nut butter.