Why should we care about the vaginal microbiome and just how different is the vaginal microbiome to the gut microbiome. Today I am delving into this topic with Dr Jason Hawrelak.
Dr Jason Hawrelak is a research scientist, educator, naturopath and Western herbalist with more than 18 years’ clinical experience. Jason practices at Goulds Natural Medicine, a 136-year-old natural medicine apothecary and clinic located in central Hobart. He did his Honours and PhD degrees examining the causes of dysbiosis and the capacity of probiotics, prebiotics and herbal medicines to modify the gut microbiome and has written extensively in the medical literature on these topics – including 16 textbook chapters.
Listen to Love & Guts on iTunes
He is on the Medical Nutrition Council of the American Society for Nutrition and was recently awarded a Fellowship from the American College of Nutrition for his significant contributions to the teaching and practice of nutrition in Australia and North America. Jason is also a Fellow of the Naturopaths and Herbalists Association of Australia. He is Chief Research Officer at ProbioticAdvisor.com, which offers a searchable database that enables easy, evidence-based prescribing of probiotic products and online resources for clinicians, and health-conscious members of the public, to learn more about the human microbiome and how they can positively influence these ecosystems.
In This Episode We Cover
- What makes up a healthy vaginal ecosystem
- What bacteria dominate the vaginal ecosystem
- What are the 5 community states of the vaginal ecosystem
- What might a dysbiotic vaginal microbiome be comprised of
- How does the vaginal microbiome differ throughout a woman's lifecycle
- How the vaginal microbiome differs from the gut microbiome
- What are some causes of vaginal dysbiosis
- What does leaky vagina mean and how does it impact our health
- What Jason has used effectively in the treatment of bacterial vaginosis
- Why do we love lactic acid in the vagina
- How do we assess vaginal health
- and so much more
Not sure if seeing a Integrative Naturopath | Nutritionist is right for you? If you have questions about how a consultation is run and what to expect from a treatment plan schedule in 15 minutes to chat with me. The Q & A sessions are conducted over the phone and is a great way to establish if working with me is a good fit for you. Schedule your 15 minute Q & A here.