"Women Are Not Small Men" - Lara Briden
Lara Briden first worked as a researcher and evolutionary biologist at the University of Calgary. She then went on to graduate as a naturopathic doctor from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM).
Listen to Love & Guts on iTunes
In her twenty years of practice Lara has learned that period problems respond incredibly well to nutrition and other natural treatments. Period problems can be fixed without the band-aid solution of hormonal birth control. Her mission is to bring that message to women everywhere. To empower women to have easy, symptomless periods and join the worldwide "period revolution."
Her book Period Repair Manual provides practical period solutions using nutrition, supplements, and natural hormones. Now in its second edition, it's been an underground sensation and has worked to quietly change the lives of tens of thousands of women around the world.
In this episode we cover
- How Lara found herself specialising in women’s health and writing books about the menstrual cycle
- We dive into the world of PCOS
- What is it, WHAT IS IT NOT and what are the common misconceptions about PCOS
- What the best way to diagnose PCOS would be
- Why we need to avoid over-diagnosing
- What the common drivers of PCOS are
- The different types of PCOS
- How our genes may be involved
- How we may support or treat someone experiencing PCOS
- So much more
- Lara Briden's Blog
- ATMS PCOS Symposium
- Period Repair Manuel - whether you are a clinician, woman or parent, do yourself a favour and get your hands on this valuable book
- National Institutes Of Heath
- Are expanding disease definitions unnecessarily labelling women with polycystic ovary syndrome?
- Kindara and Flo Ovulation Tracker phone apps
- The GreenLanders By Jane Smiley
- Go Low Tox program - The Best Low Tox Program I have come across
This episode is sponsored by BetterMe tea, a tea designed to promote improved gut health and digestion - assisting those who struggle with constipation and sluggish bowel movements to go to the bathroom with ease.