Austin Perlmutter, M.D., is a board-certified internal medicine physician, New York Times bestselling author, educator, and consultant. He received his medical degree from the University of Miami and completed his internal medicine residency at Oregon Health and Science University in Portland Oregon. His focus is on helping identify and resolve the biological basis for “stuckness” in the body and brain, especially around decision-making. He hosts the Get The STUCK OUT podcast and is a co-producer of Alzheimer’s, the Science of Prevention Docu-series. His writing is featured online on MedPage Today, Doximity, KevinMD, Medium, Psychology Today, MindBodyGreen, and DrPerlmutter.com, and his work connecting COVID-19 with immune-related depression appears in the peer-reviewed scientific literature.
Listen to Love & Guts on iTunes
Or Stitcher (Android)
In this episode we cover
- Some of the known or ‘theorized” mechanisms that underpin depression
- How systemic inflammation, behavioural changes, and psychological stressors related to Covid-19 can increase the risk of depression
- The impact of Covid-19 on BDNF and what the consequences of this are
- How the pandemic has influenced our diet and what impact this is having on depression
- How sleep influences our risk of depression
- Strategies to help prevent the onset of depression or to support those who are experiencing depression
- And so much more
- Austin Perlmutter website
Before we dive into this conversation, I’m delighted to welcome back vital.ly as the monthly sponsor for the Love & Guts podcast. Trusted by more than 5,000 health practitioners, vital.ly is a digital platform, a professional health resource and a distribution service all in one.
Features include an extensive range of premium products, patient ordering service, interactions database, monographs, a product comparison tool, clinic profiles, a dedicated education hub, and more. It’s free to join, and you can find out more by visiting vital.ly
Also, I’m excited to share that our friends at vital.ly have launched their own podcast - Common Ground! Hosted by naturopaths Jacqui Fahey and Wendy McLean. Each week the team will discuss research and interesting projects in the field of complementary medicine. Available on Amazon, Apple, Spotify, Google, and more! You can also listen via the vital.ly blog here