Steph Lowe is a Sports Nutritionist, triathlete, founder of The Natural Nutritionist, a hub for celebrating the importance of real food, and author of The Real Food Athlete.
Listen to Love & Guts on iTunes
With a passion for spreading a positive message about real food and the incredible affect it has on performance, Steph launched The Natural Nutritionist in 2011 and is on a mission to inspire others to make health a priority in their lives. Steph’s extensive nutritional experience spans from elite athletes, to schools, and corporations, where she has worked with the likes of Grill’d (burger chain) to develop new menu items, and educated workplaces about real food for productivity and performance at work.
In this episode we cover
- How Steph found herself supporting athletes with their nutrition
- Challenges Steph experienced with performance, mood and mindset with her previous “diet” compared to the LCHF she implements now
- The principles of Steph’s Low Carb High Fat Endurance program
- Why we shouldn’t be petrified of all carbs
- Challenges or experiences that an athlete may face moving toward a lower carbohydrate, higher fat diet and how to overcome them
- How long it may take for someone to become “metabolically efficient”
- The ketogenic diet in relation to sports performance
- What Steph would like to see happen in the space of nutrition for athletes
- How an athletic can recover well from an athletic event
This episode is sponsored by BetterMe tea, a tea designed to promote improved gut health and digestion - assisting those who struggle with constipation and sluggish bowel movements to go to the bathroom with ease.