Dr Leila Masson is a consultant paediatrician who specialises in nutritional and environmental medicine for children’s health issues, including allergies, asthma, behaviour problems, autism spectrum disorders and ADHD. She has a busy clinic in Sydney where she sees children and mentors doctors in integrative paediatrics. She received her medical doctorate from the Free University of Berlin and did her paediatric specialist training at the University of California in San Francisco.
Listen to Love & Guts on iTunes
She received her Master in Public Health from Harvard University and her Diploma in Tropical Medicine from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. She is a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, the Australasian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine and the Medical Academy of Paediatric Special Needs. Dr Masson is a board member of AIMA, the Australasian Integrative Medicine Association.
She is also on the board of professional advisors of La Leche League New Zealand. Leila has worked in the US, Europe, New Zealand, and volunteered for 2 years setting up a rural clinic in Pakistan.
In this episode we cover
- What PANDAS and PANS is and what is the process by which it occurs
- The common symptoms and signs of PANDAS, PANS
- What triggers PANDAS and PANS
- If every child with an infection develops this neuropsychiatric disorder
- How PANDAS and PANS is diagnosed
- What can be done to calm down the inflamed brain of a child with PANDA / PANS
- Why these conditions are often misdiagnosed as a psychiatric illness
- And much more
This episode is sponsored by BetterMe tea, a tea designed to promote improved gut health and digestion - assisting those who struggle with constipation and sluggish bowel movements to go to the bathroom with ease.