Dr. Steven Sandberg-Lewis has been a practicing naturopathic physician since 1978. He has been a professor since 1985, teaching a variety of courses but primarily focusing on gastroenterology and GI physical medicine. His private practice is at Hive Mind Medicine in Portland, Oregon. Hive Mind Medicine is a new collaborative practitioner group focused on digestive and mental/emotional health.
Listen to Love & Guts on iTunes
Sandberg-Lewis is a popular international lecturer at functional medicine seminars, presents webinars and is frequently interviewed on issues of digestive health and disease. He is the author of the near-monthly column entitled “Functional Gastroenterology Bolus” in the Townsend letter and the medical textbook Functional Gastroenterology: Assessing and Addressing the Causes of Functional Digestive Disorders.
In 2010 he co-founded the SIBO Center at NUNM which is one of only four centers in the USA for Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth diagnosis, treatment, education and research.Within gastroenterology, he has special interest and expertise in inflammatory bowel disease (including microscopic colitis), irritable bowel syndrome (including post-infectious IBS), Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), hiatal hernia, gastroesophageal and bile reflux (GERD), biliary dyskinesia, and chronic states of nausea and vomiting.
In this episode we cover
- What is Ileocecal valve Syndrome and how its associated with SIBO?
- What are the causes, signs, symptoms and treatment strategies
- Traumatic brain injury and how it impacts gastrointestinal health, In particular SIBO
- How Parkinson’s disease is related to SIBO
- How Dr Sandberg-Lewis likes to use prokinetics
- How his treatment strategies for SIBO have changed throughout the years
- And so much more
- Functional Gastroenterology: Assessing and Addressing the Causes of Functional Digestive Disorders.
- Hive Mind Medicine
- Hive Mind Medicine Facebook
This episode is sponsored by BetterMe tea, a tea designed to promote improved gut health and digestion - assisting those who struggle with constipation and sluggish bowel movements to go to the bathroom with ease.
Here is a BetterMe tea testimonial from a delighted customer:
This has fast become my favourite tea!! So refreshing and the light pepper kick is a fantastic touch. After a couple of days incorporating into a daily routine it helps get things ‘moving’ very naturally with no discomfort at all. I’m a fan!