Lily Nichols is a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Diabetes Educator, researcher, and author with a passion for evidence-based prenatal nutrition and exercise. Drawing from the current scientific literature and the wisdom of traditional cultures, her work is known for being research-focused, thorough, and sensible. Her bestselling book, Real Food for Gestational Diabetes (and online course of the same name), presents a revolutionary nutrient-dense, lower carb diet for managing gestational diabetes.
Listen to Love & Guts on iTunes
Her unique approach has not only helped tens of thousands of women manage their gestational diabetes (most without the need for blood sugar-lowering medication), but has also influenced nutrition policies internationally.
Lily’s second book, Real Food for Pregnancy, is an evidence-based look at the gap between conventional prenatal nutrition guidelines and what's optimal for mother and baby. With over 930 citations, this is the most comprehensive text on prenatal nutrition to date.
Lily is also creator of the popular blog, LilyNicholsRDN.com, which explores a variety of topics related to real food, mindful eating, and pregnancy nutrition.
In this episode we cover
- Why our nutrient needs are higher postpartum
- What specifically promotes healing and milk production
- What some traditional cultures do to help support mamma during the fourth trimester
- Why rest, recovery and receiving support is crucial during the fourth trimester
- Lily’s suggestions for women who want to lose weight straight away after giving birth
- And so much more
- Postpartum Recovery And Nutrient Repletion Course
- Nutrition For Breastfeeding Course
- Real Food For Pregnancy Book
- Real Food For Gestational Diabetes Book
- Lily Nichols Website
- Previous Podcast Episode With Lily
This episode is sponsored by BetterMe tea, a tea designed to promote improved gut health and digestion - assisting those who struggle with constipation and sluggish bowel movements to go to the bathroom with ease.
Here is a BetterMe tea testimonial from a delighted customer:
This has fast become my favourite tea!! So refreshing and the light pepper kick is a fantastic touch. After a couple of days incorporating into a daily routine it helps get things ‘moving’ very naturally with no discomfort at all. I’m a fan!